Monday, May 2, 2011

It's complicated.

My heart is heavy today. I hesitate to even say this out loud. In the midst of all the cheering and yahooing because Bin Laden is dead, I feel like a little girl standing all alone in the corner.

This isn't a new feeling for me. I felt the same way when Sadam Hussein was executed. When the rest of the country is chanting "Justice!", I can only think one life was lost and no one cares.

Yes, I know that Bin Laden killed. Yes, I understand he had to be killed. Do I have to like it? No.

I don't like it because no matter how awful a man he is, he's still one of God's children. I don't like it because, no matter how extremist he was, people are still going to hate Muslims, who are definitely undeserving of any hate, because of this. I don't like it because it will make some people more bloodthirsty. I don't like it because I don't like dehumanization of any person.

I don't usually write about any of my political opinions on any of my blogs. I've barely touched upon any of my feelings here, mostly because I usually have children crawling all over me (as I do this moment) and can't give my full concentration. I'm also just a really private person so it's really hard for me to make this a very coherent post.

I'm not saying that I'm morally above anyone. I'm quite the opposite. I'm just saying that it makes my heart heavy when people rejoice so much over the death of a human. And I'm not really sure if it's the death that saddens me the most, or the overwhelming joy emanating from the public because of the death. As I said, it's complicated.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Elaine! The rejoicing over his death crosses a fine line. We, as Americans, are always so disgusted when we see other countries celebrating the death of Americans, yet, we turned around and did the same thing. Violence breeds violence, although justice has a place somewhere in there, and death should always be sobering, not celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, Elaine. I think it's extremely important to notice this national reaction of celebration, to realize how quickly we can descend into barbarism. And I commend you for resisting that tendency.

    Osama bin Laden was both a symbol and a man. As a symbol, I'm glad he was killed. As a symbol, I think his death can be healing for some of us, can satisfy a deep need. But as a man, his death -- and more importantly, his life -- can not be anything but tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wondering how in the world can this be explained to a child. I am thankful I am not in a situation where I would need to explain it. I really don't know what I would say.

    ReplyDelete