Monday, June 27, 2011

homeschooling part 2

Let me start by saying that kids are learning even when you think they're not. They are blank canvases completely capable of painting themselves. But it doesn't hurt to let them borrow your paintbrush once in a while.
So my curriculum...after reading, lots and lots of googling, tweaking my budget and going over education goals with my husband (very important to do!), I've come up with our curriculum for next year. Some we've already done before and some we're new to. I'll give you a quick run down of each subject. Keep in mind that my children are pretty young, so most of this doesn't go higher than a 2nd grade level.
Reading: Headsprout. These are interactive "episodes" that last about 20 minutes each. The program adapts to each reader and really keeps kids engaged. It really works for our family. The program is very affordable, can be done from any computer, sends a great progress map and stickers, and you get a multi-kid discount! There are tons of printable books as well as some that they send you. We also do just good old fashion reading. We make weekly library trips, go to story time, and I read to them at least an hour a day. I also try to open discussion about books that we read and I let the children make up their own stories.

Math: Singapore Math. This is the only math program we've ever used. It's superb. The text book and workbook have really great illustrations and don't cram lots of problems on each page. It's also very visual and many of the problems can immediately be applied in the real world. An example would be, "If there are 10 balls and 5 children, divide the balls evenly so each child gets an equal number of balls." The books also give fun activities to do in the home that allow the children to get a better grasp of the concepts by manipulating objects and having fun!
Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears. This has worked really well for us so far. I highly suggest getting the teacher's guide as well. It has a wealth of information. My children also love using the personal chalkboards to practice on.

Science: I love Usborne books for this. We have First Encyclopedia of Science that I picked up for around $13. This book has "quick links" that can enhance the learning experience by allowing children explore brains, learn more about cells and many other things all online. We also have Usborne Book of Science Activities. (I have all three volumes.) These books are full of experiments that are simple enough for children to do on their own with things found around the house. We also listen to a CD called Here Comes Science by They Might be Giants just about every day. Full of fun science songs. And just so you know, it does have a few involving the Theory of Evolution, but we're Catholic, so we're A-OK with that.
I have more information, I promise! But it will have to wait until next time. I hope I helped anyone new to homeschooling, anyone thinking about homeschooling, or anyone who wants to do something for summer enrichment. Stay tuned for the next post involving social studies and history!

No comments:

Post a Comment